Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Getting Back To It

Hey There....

You know. It's been a while. More than two years. It's August in 2017, and what a doozy of a year it's been.

I can't say I'm too sorry, though I am sorry I left you alone for so long. To my credit I've been busy writing. And, you know, adulting. I got married right before I took my latest leave. I got a new job. I started running to relieve stress and help work off the quantities of Doritos that I devour. Life in this big world continues on, but I need to get back to all of you, and to this blog.

I just started the first draft for my fifth book running (not counting my shelved fantasy trilogy that I may get back to someday, possibly...sorry Jennifer [i.e. one of my first fans of that very fantasy trilogy who patiently reminds me of its incomplete state every year or so]).

Shifted and Roaring Boys are both available on Amazon.com, as fully self-published novels. Kindle and Paperback. Yeah, that's an achievement.

Shifted by Caitlyn e. Mitchell
Roaring Boys by Caitlyn e. Mitchell

























And my agent has two books in hand: my 13th-century Russian "Red Riding Hood" story, Old Blood, and my latest "Jack and the Beanstalk" tale, Giant Killer. Perhaps if they don't make it into some esteemed publisher's stable, you'll see them on Amazon.com in 2018.

The story I'm working on now is a German Snow White. It's my first foray into the world of "1st-person writing" and I have to say, I like it. Though I do like 3rd-person better. Probably just because I'm used to it. Don't have to worry so much about what tense I'm in. But many of my favorite fairy tales are written in 1st person, and many of my favorite authors write almost exclusively in 1st. So I'm giving it a go. We'll see how it turns out. The story is building up inside me and clamoring to get out. I only wish I had the ability to write faster.

I've got the idea for book #6 too-- typical, when I'm only on the second chapter of the book I'm currently working on. It'll be a futuristic, urban-fantasy "Sleeping Beauty." Assuming I don't think of something I want to do even more between now and then.

The creative mind is a whirling thing. It can be so hard to rein it in. I find myself pacing at the gate to write when I'm not at my computer, or when I can't get to it for whatever reason. And then when I sit down to write, in front of my blank document, or my quantities of notes, I go blank. And all I want to do is watch funny videos of cats. Maybe my creative self is a cat. It wants attention just as soon as I can't give it, but when I settle down with treats and a feathery toy, it plays coy.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. I want to write a book a year (or so) for the rest of my life. And I plan to live to at least 150. So let's get cracking.

No comments:

Post a Comment