Thursday, July 18, 2013

Back in the Saddle Again...

Next week starting Tuesday I'm getting back into the writing world...

Why have I been on hiatus so long? Well, with graduation, moving, starting a new job, all the little adjustments that come along with that, and then also a series of art comissions, I've had very little time to dedicate to anything else. I have more free time on my hands but more to fill it with, in a way, simply because every day is kept so full. Also, starting a new workout regimen has not helped in the 'free time' area. Gym three times a week means that's two hours less to spend on writing three times a week.

But all of these are merely excuses, and now that the art is at least done in the major sense...I still have two paintings to do, but who's asking...I will indeed plunge into the world of vocabulary and character development on Tuesday.

I don't know about any of the rest of my writer friends, but no matter how well I know the story in my mind, any break of time that lasts for more than, say, a week always requires at least a week of catching up. Next week I will be surprised if I write word one beyond edits. I'll be too busy reading what I have written, in order to catch up with my characters and get back into the voice of the story. Nothing is worse than a book that changes voice halfway through. Readers everywhere will wonder, what, did this author move and paint a lot between writing these sections?

Yeah. Like that.

It's amazing the mind's ability to remember, but also the mind's ability to forget, especially in regards to what it has created. It happens quite often that I'll read something I've written-- usually something I am very impressed with at the time-- and have no recollection of writing it. Maybe I have a super hero identity that even I don't know about. A super hero writer! I am AuThor. Beware my mighty pen!


Or keyboard. My handwriting is so bad that I almost never hand write my work anymore, unless I have an idea that just can't wait while I'm out and about. I used to carry a notebook with me wherever I went just so I could suddenly burst into random fits of prose. Alas, that was long ago, and my mind is often preoccupied with other things.

I wish there was a way to get back that initial rush of creativity when I first started writing. I had a period of perhaps three, four years where every spare moment was imagining new worlds and tales and characters-- followed by hours and hours of every-moment-counts writing.

But I digress. It takes a lot of stretching and verbal readjusting before I'm ready to write again. I will likely have to reread everything that I've already written before I'm even remotely prepared to pitch into finishing the chapter I had left half-undone before taking my break. But once I'm done with that, the book will be halfway finished.

And this is it, people. I think this will be 'the One'. I have of course written copious short stories and poems, and I have my Trilogy which is my brain baby, and I still want to see it published someday. But this one I think will be the breaker. I've never heard of anyone doing this before, nor exactly in this way, and it's by far the best writing I've ever done. So I'm really excited to finish it and get it sent out there!

So why is it taking me so long? Sigh...well, you know what they say about patience. It's a virtue isn't it?

Speak not the word slothfulness. It's not the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment